History OF THE FLAG OF THE STATE OF QUEENSLAND
On December 22, 1865 the Governor of the Queensland Colony, Governor Bowen, was advised by the Under Secretary of the Colonial Office that the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty had determined that all vessels in the service of the Colony, except Commissioned Vessels of War, should fly the Blue Ensign bearing the seal or badge of that Colony. The Governor was requested to provide the Colonial Office with a drawn badge. It is unknown if the request was acted on.
Subsequently, on September 14, 1869 Governor Blackall was advised by the Secretary of State for Colonies, Earl Granville, that Her Majesty-inCouncil had authorised Governors of British Colonies to fly the Union Jack with the Arms or Badge of the Colony emblazoned in the centre. The Governor was requested to submit a sketch of the Badge proposed for adoption and this was forwarded to the Secretary of State on March 22, 1870.
On August 23, 1875 the Secretary of State for Colonies forwarded to Governor Cairns copies of drawings of the Badges of certain colonies which the Admiralty proposed to insert in the Admiralty Flag Book. The Governor was requested to certify to the correctness of the Badge of the Queensland Colony. The design was the head of Queen Victoria, facing to the right, on a dark blue background, surrounded by a white circle bearing the word QUEENSLAND in the upper section.
However, the Queensland Government considered that it would be too difficult to reproduce a fair representation of the head of the Queen accurately on a flag. The then Acting Colonial Secretary submitted four alternative designs to the Governor, including one incorporating an azure Maltese Cross with a Crown superimposed, which was recommended.
This design was subsequently sent to the Secretary of State for the Colonies, who replied on July 14, 1876 that the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty had approved that the Maltese Cross, with the Crown superimposed, be the "future Badge of the Colony for insertion in the Union Flag for use by the Governor and on the blue Ensign for use by Government Vessels".
Notification of adoption, together with an illustration and blazon, was published in the Queensland Government Gazette on November 29, 1876